Week in the 60’s

This is a journal account of a week I spent using only technology that survived in the 1960’s.

Day 1
August 11, 2014

I woke up this morning earlier than usual, I usually listen to Pandora radio while I get ready but I couldn’t. Instead I plugged in my old radio and listened to that (I hate commercials). I also made my breakfast this morning rather than just pouring some cereal. I made an over easy egg with toast and a plum. I really plunged into the no technology week for sure.
I’m not sure if anxiety is kicking in or what but I feel tired and dizzy. My heart rate feels fast, or slow, I can’t tell. I just feel it thumping like a bird trying to get out of a cage.
My biggest fear with this project is that nobody will be willing to call me or try to get a hold of me to hang out. I’m scared i’ll be lonely. I hope I won’t be lonely. I pray I won’t be lonely.
I learned a lot about myself today. I learned that I hide emotions or rather smother them with technology. At least the bad emotions anyways. Any time I feel sad, anxious, or frustrated I pretty much just leave my reality and dive into the reality of others. I text or facebook anytime I feel those emotions. I had to find a different way to feel better today, a different way to release my emotions. It was a very new experience which means I’ve probably been using technology to hide my emotions for a long time.
I also interacted with others, especially my roommate Megan in a deeper way. I had time to listen and hear what she was saying and when she reciprocated that I felt much better about things. I think human interaction may be the best medicine for my emotions.
I’ve never thought of myself as a super emotional being, but today I proved myself wrong. I felt things today I haven’t felt in a long time.
I’m intrigued.

Day 1

Day 2
August 12, 2014

Work went a lot better today. Even though I didn’t know who I was going to see I still dressed up. I’ve found that when you look your best you feel more confident, and act your best. My interactions with others were more personal and I even tried to make more eye contact which I believe improved my sales. I actually didn’t know I avoided eye contact so often until I made a conscious effort to do so.
My expectation of this project was that because I was giving up so many things I’d wasted time on, I would have an overabundance of extra time on my hands which isn’t true. I’ve been so busy, maybe doing things that have been on my to do list forever but I’ve always been too busy on my phone to do them.
Today I noticed that when others know you’re actually listening to them they will open up to you in ways I couldn’t have imagined. They trust you more, because they feel like you’re being just as vulnerable as they are. It’s amazing what happens when people actually feel cared about.

Day 2

Day 3
August 13, 2014

Today, I didn’t have to work. I didn’t make any plans with the exception of deep cleaning my house. I looked through my hope chest today and cried because I found some old birthday cards my dad had written me. I miss him very much.
I went on a walk today and THOUGHT about life and simplicity. There is suddenly a lot more time to think and explore new areas of my own mind. I noticed that I don’t know my neighbors and thought about the “good ol’ days” when neighbors would come visit and introduce themselves. Now people are so busy caring for people who are so far away via social media, they have no time to know or care about the people who are close to them. I didn’t have my ear plugs in during my walk like I usually do so instead I listened to the music of the neighborhood like the children’s laughter and cars going by. It made me miss childhood and the sense of freedom that came with it. Life gets a lot more complicated the older you get. Today, I wanted somebody to call me really bad, it was my first lonely night in a long time.

Day 3

Day 4
August 14, 2014

Today I learned that in this day and age it is a lot harder to make plans with people without being able to text. The free time is nice but at some point I’d like some good old human interaction. I read my book today. I had a hard time reading without falling asleep. It was funny because every time I was about to fall asleep somebody would finally call and then I’d have three people calling at a time. It was so crazy but I’m so blessed to have people who would actually like to talk to me. I’ve been calling my mom non-stop the poor woman. I just love talking to her though, she understands me, or at least pretends to.
Today I also looked at pictures of my dad, not the digital kind, the kind you actually print out and can physically flip through… I miss him. I know he’d be proud of me. Whenever I hear a plane go by in the sky I think of him.

Day 4

Day 5
August 15, 2014

Today was one amazing day. I had an interview for a scholarship position at UVU review (school newspaper) I went right after work to the interview. I dressed pretty well in hopes of getting it. The interview was very short and the editor told me I had it! I got the position! I was so ecstatic! The problem with this is the fact that after I was finished I couldn’t call or text anybody so I was forced to hold in my major excitement until I got home and could call my mom. I don’t know how people in the sixties expressed that sort of excitement, but I was about ready to burst.
The rest of the day was quite busy, the busy days are my favorite this week because it means i’m not alone. Later this night I announced to a group of friends that I had gotten a scholarship and they all cheered, I felt very loved at that moment. It was nice to be able to express my excitement with a group of people.

Day 5.2

Day 5

Day 6
August 16, 2014

One day left and today was one of the most tempting days to use the technology (that is not supposed to exist). I just wanted to go online and check my facebook or email. After work I went home and my roommate was about to watch Harry Potter. Luckily, I have the sweetest roommate in the world and she ended up not watching it and instead updating me on the news. Turns out I don’t get a newspaper so as far as what is happening out in the world right now, I have no clue.
I thought this project would get easier as time went on, but today that was proven untrue. I finally distracted myself by going to get ice cream and see a movie in the theatre with some friends. It was a great way to get through the rest of the night.

Day 6-2

Day 6

Day 7
August 17, 2014

The last and final day of the project. I guarantee I’ll spend most of it sleeping. I’m exhausted, and the more tired I get the more I mindlessly wish to scroll on facebook. I wish that I could know what is happening in other peoples lives. This week I have realized the difference between the people who truly care about me and the people who are more of an online or texting acquaintance. I also am curious if anyone else was wondering how I was this past week.
So, I’ve received a few letters, a lot of calls, and I’ve gotten to enjoy more interaction this week without the crutch of technology. What I’ve learned is that technology is an addiction and unfortunately one I don’t plan on giving up. I do plan on moderating this addiction though. Often I think people lose a lot by over using technology.
Life without technology is more personal, and people have to reach out in ways that you would have never expected.

Day 7